Partnerships & alliances
Developing and maintaining partnerships and alliances in Belgium and abroad is one of the strategic priorities of BTC.
In the projects and programmes in the South this seems evident; after all these are executed in consultation with the beneficiary instances, organisations and other donors via formal consultative bodies and steering groups. But BTC also wants to maintain an extensive network of partnerships and alliances in Belgium and internationally.
BTC maintains excellent relations with different organisations of direct and indirect development cooperation in Belgium. NGOs, universities, consultancies … are natural allies.
With its ‘Espace Jacqmotte’ BTC can provide meeting rooms and modest conference capacity, which is regularly used by the sector. Step by step ‘Espace Jacqmotte’ is becoming the meeting place of Belgian development cooperation.
BTC also wants to start partnerships in Belgium with public and semi-governmental organisations and with institutions of the federal state, the regions and communities. After all, their civil servants have the expertise that can be very useful in strengthening the institutional capacity in the partner countries.
In search for strategic partnership (consortiums, commissioners) for Belgian cooperation, BTC invests a lot of energy in the relations with the European institutions in general and the European Commission in particular.
Since April 2009 BTC has been a member of the ‘Practitioners' Network for European Development Cooperation’, an open platform for exchange, coordination and harmonisation between European actors in development cooperation.
BTC is a founding member of Eunida, the European Network of Implementing Development Agencies. It is a grouping of European agencies with a mandate to develop, manage and implement development programmes. The Eunida secretariat is located at BTC’s head office in Brussels.
An overview of the BTC network
- COOPAMI, staff service of INAMI-RIZIV (the national institute for health and disability insurance), is a cooperation platform that supports countries that wish to develop or modernize a universal, unified and sustainable social protection in the interest of the population. It collaborates with BTC through our scholarship department.
- Since January 2008 BTC is a member of the U4 Anti-Corruption Resource Centre, which is a knowledge and advice centre that helps development organisations in efficiently dealing with corruption in international cooperation.
- Together with DGDC BTC represents Belgium in different OECD technical platforms, such as the Informal Network of DAC Development Communicators. www.oecd.org/dev/devcom
- The awareness-raising programme Kleur Bekennen has close contacts with the Dutch National Committee for International Cooperation and Sustainable Development and the Global Education Network Europe (GENE).
- Be-cause Health: Belgian platform for International Health and Health Care.
- Be-Troplive: Belgian platform on Tropical Animal Health and Production.
- Masmut: Belgian Platform Community Health Insurance/Mutual Health Organisations.
- Kauri: Network and knowledge centre that promotes ethical, sustainable and transparent business practices, located in Brussels.
- Close the Gap: International not-for-profit organisation that promotes Corporate Social Responsibility by offering IT equipment to communities in the South.
- Train4dev: Competence Development Network, and open forum for donors and multilateral organisations.
- Aidscompetence: Network for the fight against AIDS, in the Democratic Republic of Congo, among others.
- FABEC : Foro de los Actores belgas de la Cooperación en Ecuador - The Belgian development cooperation organisations in Ecuador.